forensic report released, may have 'accidentally drowned' in bathtub
Sridevi died of accidental drowning in her hotel bath tub after losing consciousness, the Dubai government said on Monday, giving a dramatic twist to her sudden death that has stunned legions of fans and industry colleagues. The Dubai government said in a tweet that the police have transferred the case to the “Dubai Public Prosecution” which will carry out regular legal procedures followed in such cases. “Following the completion of post mortem analysis, Dubai police headquarters today stated that the death of the Indian actress Sridevi occurred due to drowning in her hotel apartment's bath tub following loss of consciousness,” the Dubai government's media office said on Twitter. It is not clear what caused Sridevi, 54, to lose consciousness, and whether the initial report of her death due to cardiac arrest still holds. Her death, which was first reported at around 3 am on Sunday in India, sent shock waves across the country with those who knew her at a loss to explain how she could have suffered cardiac arrest at such a young age. The latest report of accidental drowning only deepens the mystery surrounding her death. Her family has not commented eyond their initial statement yesterday to announce the death, and has requested the media to not contact them as they deal with the tragedy.