India faces break point in Davis Cup
Jan 08 2013
Eight top players, excluding Leander Paes, submitted a list of requirements to the All India Tennis Association (AITA) with a veiled threat to snub the regional first round tie in New Delhi from February 1-3 if no action was taken. On Sunday, the AITA agreed to most of the demands but it was not enough to convince the group, which includes Mahesh Bhupathi, Somdev Devvarman and Rohan Bopanna, as they rejected the compromise formula.
Hironmoy Chatterjee, the chief executive of the governing body, ruled out any further dialogue with the players and set them a Thursday deadline to commit to playing in the team event. “We will wait for the players’ response. We won’t change our stand. Whatever was possible to be done, we have done. Now it’s upto them to send in their availability,” Chatterjee said on Tuesday. “Whoever sends in their availability by January 10, we will select the team from that lot.”
The AITA agreed to the demands for a new coach, a higher share of prize money and the players’ involvement in the choice of venues for ties among others but rejected a request to change the captain and decided to retain SP Misra to lead the team. The governing body, though, snubbed the players’ choice of support staff, naming Zeeshan Ali as the new coach and asked the government to appoint a qualified doctor and a fulltime physiotherapist for the team. “We have done enough and now it is upto them. The problem is now they are overstepping,” Chatterjee said by phone. “They want to be players, they want to be selectors, they want to be administrators, which is not on.
Last year, the AITA handed doubles specialists Bhupathi and Bopanna a two-year Davis Cup suspension for their refusal to partner Paes at the London Olympics. The trio figured in an ugly row ahead of the Games that forced the association to change their original decision to field Paes and Bhupathi as a pair.