Engineers India wins $40m overseas contract

State-owned Engineers India Ltd (EIL) today said it has won a $40 million contract for the Liwa Plastics project of Oman Refineries and Petroleum Industries Co (Orpic).

"EIL has been awarded a project management consultancy (PMC) contract by Orpic for their Liwa Plastics Project in Sohar, Oman against international competitive bidding competition from international consultants," the company said in a statement.

Orpic is owned by the Government of Oman and state-owned Oman Oil Company SAOC and has been created to pursue investment opportunities in the energy sector both inside and outside Oman.

Liwa Plastics Project comprises a new petrochemical complex adjacent to the Sohar Refinery that will include a 800,000 tonne a year ethylene cracking plant, high density polyolefin (HDPE) plant, linear low density polyethylene plant (LLDPE), new polypropylene plant (PP), associated utility and offsite facilities.

The project, once commissioned, will enhance both fuel and plastics production in Oman. Plastics production will increase to 1.4 million tonnes per annum by 2018 from 200,000 tonnes now, while fuel production will touch 11.3 million tonnes from 7.3 million tonnes.

The feedstock for the plant shall be brought from Fahud, which is 300 km away from Sohar.

Earlier it was envisaged that as much as 60 per cent of the feedstock for the Liwa Plastics project would come from the existing Sohar refinery, while the remaining 40 per cent would be natural gas liquids extracted from the gas in Fahud.

EIL said its contract scope also includes the gas extraction plant at Fahud as well as transfer of natural gas liquids from Fahud to Sohar.

Shares of the company closed over 6.7 per cent up at Rs 199.95 apiece on the BSE.

Post new comment

E-mail ID will not be published
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

EDITORIAL OF THE DAY

  • The govt needs to spend its cash without being frugal or wasteful

    Increased government spending can provide a temporary stimulus to demand and output. This is Economics 101.

FC NEWSLETTER

Stay informed on our latest news!

INTERVIEWS

Sarthak Raychaudhuri

vice-president, HR, Asia South Whirlpool of India

GV Nageswara Rao

MD & CEO, IDBI Federal Life

Timothy Moe

Goldman Sachs

TODAY'S COLUMNS

Roopen Roy

Livability as a competitive advantage

Some CEOs and policymakers argue forcefully that distance is of ...

Rajgopal Nidamboor

The submarine element of your mind

We are all aware of the power of our will ...

Gautam Gupta

Retailers have it tough, thanks to e-commerce

For the past few months our focus has been on ...

INTERVIEWS

William D. Green

Chairman & CEO, Accenture